So after the Newtown tragedy, people started talking gun control again. And I kept thinking I should write up something about this. After all, it's actually in my field and something I've thought about. But the truth is, I haven't had the time or energy. Maybe I will some day, maybe not. In the meanwhile, I thought I'd share some of the articles I saw go by that were worth a read either because they offer a perspective you may not have heard yet, or because they are important for understanding the current debate.
- A Slate article on technology to make safer guns.
- The NY Times on how gun manufactures out-reach to younger audiences.
- The NY Times on lessons-learned from the now-expired assault weapons ban.
- An LA Times opinion piece from a conservative judge on the importance of an assault weapons ban.
- Along the same lines, a blog post on Arms Control Law, a blog that I read for professional reasons, and that is normally dealing with more international topics.
- A Slate article on federally funding gun violence research.
- A short piece on gun control from the New England Journal of Medicine.
- The Brady Campaign's short list of needed gun control measures.
- A NY Times article on the Obama administration's gun control recommendations.